Alright, let's set the scene here. You're playing Football Manager, you've got your tactics all setup, and you're ready to take on the world. But then you hear someone talking about this "false 9" thing, and you're thinking, what the heck is that? Don't worry, my friend - I've got you covered.
In this article, we're going to dive deep into the world of the false 9 role in Football Manager. We'll cover everything you need to know, from what it is and how to use it, to the attributes you need in a player and the best formation to use. And we'll even take a look at a couple of real-world examples of players who have excelled in the false 9 role and how their play impacted their teams.
So whether you're a seasoned Football Manager pro or a newbie just getting started, this article will have something for you. Get ready to take your tactics to the next level with the false 9!
What is a False 9?
If you've been around the football world for a while, you've probably heard of the striker position. You know, the player up front who's supposed to score all the goals. But have you heard of the false 9? It's a player role that's all about confusing the opposition and creating space for your attacking midfielders and wingers to run into.
So what exactly is a false 9? Well, it's pretty simple. You take a striker and instead of having them play up front, you drop them deep into midfield. This draws the opposition defenders towards them, creating space for your other attackers to exploit. It's a role that requires a lot of technical ability and vision, as the false 9 will be involved in a lot of build-up play and needs to be able to see the gaps in the opposition's defence.
In Football Manager, you can assign the false 9 role to a forward in your tactics screen. When you do this, they'll drop deep into midfield, looking to link up with your other attackers and create chances for your team. But it's not just a matter of sticking any old player in that position - you need someone with the right attributes to really make it work.
Key Attributes for a False 9 in Football Manager
When looking for a player to play the false 9 role in Football Manager, there are a few key attributes you should be looking for. While it's important to have a technically gifted player with a good footballing brain, there are also some specific skills that are essential for the false 9 position. Here are the most important attributes for a false 9 in Football Manager:
- Dribbling: A false 9 is often the most creative player on the pitch and will need to be able to dribble past defenders with ease. Look for players with high dribbling attributes to play in this role.
- Technique: In order to drop deep and link play, the false 9 needs to have excellent technique on the ball. This includes first touch, ball control, and passing.
- Vision: The false 9 needs to be able to spot runs and pick out key passes to unlock defences. A high vision attribute is crucial for this role.
- Flair: A player with high flair will be able to produce the unexpected and create chances out of nothing. This is a valuable attribute for a false 9, who needs to be able to improvise and create openings for their team.
- Off the ball: As a false 9, the player will need to make intelligent runs into space and pull defenders out of position. Look for players with high off the ball attributes to excel in this role.
- Stamina: The false 9 will often need to drop deep to pick up the ball and then burst forward to create chances. A high stamina attribute will ensure they can keep up with the demands of the role.
- Acceleration and Agility: As the false 9 often drops deep and then makes runs forward, having high acceleration and agility attributes will allow them to make sudden bursts of speed and change direction quickly.
- Finishing: Although the false 9 is not the primary goal scorer, they will still need to have good finishing ability to take advantage of any chances that come their way.
How to Use a False 9 in Your Tactics
Now that you know what a false 9 is, it's time to learn how to use it effectively in your tactics. The false 9 can be a tricky role to master, but when used correctly, it can unlock a whole new level of attacking play for your team.
One of the key things to keep in mind when using a false 9 is that they need to be involved in the build-up play. They're not just there to score goals - they're there to create chances for your other attackers. So when setting up your tactics, make sure to give your false 9 plenty of options to pass to. This could mean having attacking midfielders and wingers running off them, or it could mean having full-backs overlapping to provide an outlet.
Another important aspect of using a false 9 is creating space. As we mentioned earlier, the false 9 role is all about drawing the opposition defenders out of position to create gaps for your other attackers. So make sure to use your false 9 to pull defenders out of position, and then have your other attackers run into the space that's been created.
Best Tactic Formations for Using a False 9
The key is to choose a formation that allows your false 9 to excel in their role and create opportunities for your team. One popular formation for using a false 9 is the 4-3-3. In this formation, the false 9 plays in a central position between the attacking midfielders and the wingers. This allows them to drop deep and create space for the other attackers to run into, while also giving them plenty of passing options to work with.
Another formation that works well with a false 9 is the 4-2-3-1. In this formation, the false 9 plays in the central attacking midfield position, with two holding midfielders behind them. This allows the false 9 to drop deep and get involved in the build-up play, while also giving them plenty of options to pass to in the midfield.
Finally, the 3-4-3 formation can also work well with a false 9. In this formation, the false 9 plays in the central attacking midfield position, with two wingers and two wing-backs providing width. This allows the false 9 to drop deep and create space for the wingers to run into, while also giving them plenty of options to pass to in the midfield.
When choosing a tactic formation to use with a false 9, it's important to keep in mind the player's strengths and weaknesses, as well as the strengths and weaknesses of your other players. Experiment with different formations and see which one works best for your team and your style of play.
In conclusion, the false 9 role in Football Manager can be a highly effective tactic if used correctly. By dropping deep and pulling defenders out of position, the false 9 can create space for their teammates to exploit and lead to scoring opportunities.
When selecting a player to play as the false 9, it's important to consider their attributes carefully. Look for players with excellent dribbling, technique, vision, flair, off the ball, stamina, acceleration and agility, and finishing abilities.
In terms of tactics, a formation with a single striker, two attacking midfielders, and wingers can be highly effective. The false 9 can drop deep to link play with the midfielders, while the wingers provide width and the attacking midfielders make runs into the box.
When executed correctly, the false 9 can be a devastatingly effective tactic, leading to plenty of goals and creating plenty of chances for your team. Use these tips to master the false 9 role in Football Manager and dominate your opponents.